Wednesday 17 April 2013

UPDATE: Shehu Sani Rejects Jonathan's Appointment


Popular Northern based human rights activist, Shehu Sani, has rejected his appointment to serve in the 26-member Presidential Committee inaugurated by President Goodluck Jonathan to engage key members of dreaded Boko Haram sect.

Shehu Sani who said he was even not consulted before his name was used, warned that Jonathan is going about the whole amnesty issue in a wrong way...

In a post on his Facebook page on Wednesday, Shehu Sani said: “My friends called me this afternoon to inform me that they saw my name on the list of the Presidential committee on Amnesty... This is to thank our president for giving me such an honour and consideration.

"However, I humbly and respectably wish to decline to serve as member. My advice remains: Reach out to the persons I mentioned their names in my interviews in the dailies to discreetly consult with the group to get their input on the idea. Thanks.”

You may wish to know that Shehu Sani has repeatedly told the Presidency the "best way to address the crises" but they keep ignoring him. He said a journalist, Ahmad Salkida, who had direct contact with the main Boko Haram leaders and usually reported their activities, should be engaged to reach out to them and help sell the idea of amnesty to them and get their commitment.

The government have consistently ignored his suggestions so he wondered why they appointed him.

 
Design by Samizares Online Gist